Thursday, August 6, 2009

Newsflash: Babies are People.

I had every intention of posting today more of my thoughts of the idea of vocation, as a follow-up to yesterday's post, but I have decided to put that on hold for another time. Chapter gatherings are all about deep, meaningful, and consequential discussions and decision-making, so I am deep-thoughted out. Instead, let me comment on something that is a constant challenge in my life these days: Baby's Feet.

Okay, imagine this scenario. You are sitting in a coffee shop. You are gently sipping a mug of hot, frothy yum-yum, and holding the pages open of the book you are reading with the other. Adorable. The person passing by you on the way to the counter for an over-priced beverage of their own notices your lectionary bliss. So she reaches down and touches your feet. You pull them away, crying out "What?!" But such is her interest in your cuteness, lucky you, that she now proceeds to tickle your feet while saying, "Can I get a smile from you? Aww, come on, smile!" and then, noticing your frown, says, "Oh, are We feeling grouchy today?"

That is the situation faced by my 15mo EVERY DAY TIMES 50. He does not mind being touched in general. He likes people. But WHO likes to have their feet tickled, particularly by a stranger?!

Awkwardly this is one of those situations where the perpatrator of the crime, here unabash-ed foot-tickling, is well-meaning. And almost everyone does it. (Even when he is sleeping. Then they look at me and say, I just wanted to see him smile. Then they walk away and leave me with a crying baby who has been awoken and assaulted by a stranger and I still have most of my grocery shopping to do.) And I feel compelled to prevent it and protect my son from this annoying and fear-producing encounter, and potentially protect the tickler from my wrath, but it is difficult to find a way to do so politely. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment