Monday, August 3, 2009

In the Beginning, there was Breastfeeding

Put your left foot in...
I'd like to post every day. So I have been working on re-design of my layout to this flowering red design, and coming up with a writing plan. The more I write, the more I LOVE to write. Hopefully this will be a continuing trend. But I am still getting to know myself as an adult writer. I wrote all the time when i was a kid, and now that 'being like child' is more important to me than ever, I must find my writing voice again. AND it will hopefully have the added benefit of kickstarting my research work. So for a while I am might need to FORCE myself to write everyday, and this little blog will help me out! SO, I am going to be begin this enterprise by addressing a host of topics that have been on my mind.

Get ready for the N Word!
Nipple. There I said it. And now for some TMI. I have nipples. I know, it's true. You maybe are thinking that this would be an obvious statement, and so did I. Until I am in the hospital post-birth, trying to nurse my new baby, and my nipples are refusing to pop up like the nurse is saying should happen. Flat. Flat as a pancake. This nurse helps me to use a nipple shield, a clear, thin little silicon device that resembles the nipple of a baby bottle. My little man's powerful sucking action was able to achieve what mother nature could not - breaking the scar tissue (a genetic defect) that was turning my nipples into scared turtles. After several weeks I was, with a great amount of patience and perseverence on both our parts, able to wean him off of the shield and nursing progressed well after that. Although my let-down was never very much until several months down the road.
I have many other accomplishments in my life, academic, relationships, work, house. But successfully breastfeeding in a world that mainly discourages feels like one of my best successes. Encouraging breastfeeding is all the rage, of course, but it often amounts to just lip service. How can your doctor be said to be "promoting" BF when s/he also takes kickbacks and samples from formula companies and hands them to you while saying, "If you are worried your baby is not getting enough milk, just give him some formula." WHAT? That just starts a cycle of decline! AND it sends the message to the mother that she SHOULD be worrying about her baby not getting enough, never mind that Baby seems healthy and happy and thriving.

FORMULA COMPANIES are NOT humanitarian organizations, and don't forget it!

They are BIG BUSINESS. BIG BIG BIG BUSINESS. As such, it is their job to sell you their product, even and especially at the expense of something wholesome and healthy and natural that costs almost nothing monetarily. And they peddle the supposed 'convenience' and 'goodness' of their product with all the cunningness that they posess.

We must be just as resourceful, and just as unashamed of the choices that we make, even when they are counter-cultural.

More to come, y'all!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice design! I'm sorry, I should have warned you about the comments link. That was broken on mine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We provide 3 Ton Pickup For Rent in Dubai Man with Van. We deal areas like Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Al Ain, Fujairah, Sharjah, Ras Al Khaimah RAK. We also offer Pickup Rental Dubai for Home shifting, Office shifting, Man with van, We deal in 3 ton and 10 ton pickup for rent in Dubai. Pickup for rent in Dubai 3 ton pickup for rent in sharjah, 3 ton pickup for sale in dubai, 3 ton pickup for rent in al barsha, 3 ton pickup for rent without driver, 7 ton pickup for rent in dubai.

    ReplyDelete