Thursday, August 20, 2009

Breaking Up is Hard to Do

Just a week + final weekend is left here in the Q. The finality of our time here has begun to settle on me. I knew we might move away from here some day, but the whole path to our leaving has been difficult for us, our family, our friends. It is like a break-up. You love a person, but then when they reveal that they have no use for you, not only do you lose them, but it is as though your former desire to help and love them has been stolen from you too.

So when a student said to me, "Hey since Bill is gone you and Nico should come and eat in the caf with us next week because all the students will be back in town," I did not even think about my reply. The words were out of my mouth without pause: Oh No. No Way. [and then, gathering my wits] I mean, no, thank-you. That really is very kind, but I just couldn't. I hope you can understand."

Well, this little anthology pretty much sums up the rest of my feelings [Not my own vid, but it works!]:




20. The Break-up Song, Greg Kihn Band
19. Song for the Dumped, Ben Folds Five
18. End of the Road, Boyz II Men
17. Without You, Mariah Carey
16. Love Bites, Def Leppard
15. Breaking up is hard to do (slow), Neil Sedaka
14. Boys Don't Cry, The Cure
13. She Hates Me, Puddle of Mud
12. Don't Speak, No Doubt
11. The Time of Your Life, Green Day
10. Ain't No Sunshine, Bill Withers
9. Don't Dream It's Over, Crowded House
8. With or Without You, U2
7. These Boots are made for walking, Nancy Sinatra
6. Against All Odds, Phil Collins
5. Go Your Own Way, Fleetwood Mac
4. Love Stinks, J. Geils Band
3. I used to Love Her, Guns N Roses
2. You Oughtta Know, Alanis Morissette
1. I will Survive, Gloria Gaynor

These songs are hilarious, and I now feel significantly cheered. It is probably because I am thinking of Adam Sandler singing Love Stinks in The Wedding Singer, Which makes me think of the song "Somebody Kill Me" from the movie. Which probably is THE BEST BREAKUP SONG EVER! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Well, here it is: fair warning on the cursing in the song:



"He's Losing His Mind, and I'm reaping all the Benefits."

Onward, Ho, Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment