Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It is no wonder that $1 = Two Bits These Days!

Moving Right Along
So we are preparing to move, and so of course we must deal with all of the pleasant and unpleasant tasks that come with that. Pleasant = Well, there are not really any pleasant moving tasks. Perhaps those of us in the world who really do actively combat Entropy (nerd much?) do achieve some sort of satisfaction from being able organize our little corner of the universe into boxes and reduce our waste by havind sorted through knick-knacks and old class notes from time immemorial. Okay, yes, that does give me some spark of satisfaction. But the rest blows.

Click Click.
It all started with his clicking shiny shoes. The man who came to give us an estimate on the cost to us for his company to move our goods. They were much too shiny and expensive, and when he is wearing the fine threads, you know that it is going to cost a pretty penny! He tells us all about the corporations and fine folks his company moves for, including the local hospital. After the walk through, he names an EXORBITANT price, and promotes his tarif as if it is some kind of official state rate. Never mind that it is SIX HUNDRED dollars more than what was quoted to us by another company out of Springfield. $600 more. Just think, every time the Hospital has to have something moved, they pay that ridiculous rate. And their new hires pay it. And Then We ALL pay FOR it in medical care costs.
I do not know what to do about these things of course, other than refuse his services. I certainly do not want to venture into the territory of being the, ahem, person who sends around the mass e-mails of outrage which amount to being little more than spam. A few family members and friends send me those e-mails, and I refuse to read them as well. I block them from my Facebook newsfeed.

Oh Hey! Vacay!
That's right, cats and kittens [nod to You Bet Your Garden host Mike McGrath], the little onion [zwieblein] is going on vacation. Now it is not a fancy vacation, more like a family retreat. I am an associate with the Racine Dominicans, and Chapter is at the motherhouse. My little family and I go up there for a few days each summer and spend time with the community. Please pray for us to have safe travels and for the RD's to have a fruitful Chapter.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I only approve of politcally outraged e-mails that are a) written by the sender and b) backed up by factual evidence. And while I'm dreaming, I will also stipulate that they be written in a polite and reasonable tone.

    ReplyDelete