Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Writer's Block

Maybe if I make this post the first in a series on Writer's Block, then THAT would kick it.

But this is kind of cronic, reappearing, and really just one big block since, oh, 1998. Seriously.

But I am working on it, working through it. Well mostly.

I have been kind of stuck again lately. The impending job loss of my husband, and then job search and then house sell and house search and house move and now eternal unpacking and being in a new place and kind of lonely has all really piled the stress on and now trying to unwind and the get the office set up and create both physical space and mental space while assuring that the bébé is being cared for in such a way that whining and fussing do not completely derail my work... in short it is like I need a vacation from myself.

So, peeps, I need to get back in the groove.

I need to read it again, but this article is helpful:

http://www.writing-world.com/life/block.shtml

My favorite quote: "McHugh's rule of writer's block: Writer's block is not the inability to write, it is the feeling as you are writing, that what you are writing is shit. The only way through it is to give yourself permission to write shit. (You may replace 'shit' with colorful euphemisms like 'cow dung' or even boring ones like 'crap.')" -- Maureen McHugh

I can do this. I'll report my progress, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment