Saturday, September 26, 2009

Just One Car

It doesn't happen very often, but it did today, for just a moment. I briefly wished.

"This is one of those moments when having two cars would be nice."

Bill was going to swim at Y, and I would have loved to have gone, too, and brought Nico along. If it were just me, I could still have gone with even though our workout times and needs differ. But Nico doesn't do two hours at the Y when its edging in to nap time. He lasts max of 30 min in the pool. Then he would be so tuckered that home to nap would be necessary.

This moment of wishing last about 10 seconds. But it would not be worth having two cars.

The benefits of having one car:

  1. Fewer trips, fewer emissions, fewer reasons not to walk more! As a matter of fact, when we bought our house in Quincy and our new house in Springfield, we purposely located ourselves so that one of us could WALK to work. We are town dwellers, so that makes sense. [I would say city, but Springfield is not big city. I characterize it as a town.] I grew up in a rural area, so I'm not sure that would work there. But one thing I have trouble understanding is why people would choose to live in a town or city and not take advantage of living in it. Suburb people baffle me.
  2. Sharing isn't just for babies and children. It is for us big kids, too. Far too many adults have forgotten the manners and social lessons of our youth. I've seen this scene a bazillion times now: one kid has a couple of toys. Another one wants to use one of the toys. The parent of the "stealer" rushes in to make sure that her/his child has not caused a problem with child with the toys. The parent of the toys child says, "No, it's okay. It's good for her to learn how to share."
    I am trying to imagine adult saying that about themselves.....squeeze eyes shut....grunt.....Nope. Can't do it. I can't remember the last time I heard other adults say that it was Good to Share. Ususally when I say something to my husband about Sharing, he replays that scene from "A Fish Called Wanda" where the guy is trying to say "Sorry."
    "I'm so very, very, ssssssssssssaaaaaaaggghhhh!!! 'F'! 'U'! !!!!"
    [I tried to find the clip on You Tube, but to no avail. If you finds it, let me know so that I can add it!]
    Any-hoo, sharing is good, doing things as a family is good, and adults really should continue to do things that build character! Having just one car is one of those things for us right now.
  3. Money. First, we have no payment on the one car, so getting a second car would mean a car payment for a little while. And car insurance for sure. When we are ready for a second car, I hope that we will be close to buying it outright. We save up now in preparation for that. If you always have a car payment and never give yourself time to SAVE MONEY, then you spend your life paying A TON in interest. Also, Bill and I are BIG believers in living within your means. This means not buying things you do not have the money for, using a credit card only as a temporary convenience so that you can pay the bill from your savings for items that you've budgeted and saved for but do not necessarily keep that money in your regular bank account. And, for certain, anything beyond the most necessary items and plain vehicles are extra expenditures, and you should never go in debt for fun and perks. Vacation? Perk. Fancy Motorcylce for weekend fun? Perk. New Wardrobe? Perk. Game and Concert Tickets? Perk.
Still, IF we had a second car, occasionally it would come in handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment