Sunday, September 27, 2009

WrB: "Ribbies for Nerds"

It took me a LONG time to figure out that "Ribbies" were RBI's in baseball [That's a player's Runs Batted In statistic for those of you with no baseball knowledge whatsoever.]

So then I realized that us academics, authors, writers, inventors - nerds - need our own Ribbies.

Well, actually, I was thinking about how to describe a state of Writer's Block that isn't quite as blocked as it was before, but still blocked a goodly amount. I propose a percentage. WrB 0 - 100. WrB 0 means "ain't nothing comin'", "Blocked as hell", "effing blocked", and "H E L P". WrB 100 is "I got my mojo going", "Leave me Be! I'm writing here!", "I feeeeel good {na na na na na na na}The way that I should now, ba-yay-by", and "Praise Jesus!!"

I had printed out the article that I recommended in my previous post on writer's block, and it was lying on the desk upstairs. My husband said to me this morning, "umm, dear? I saw the article on the desk about writer's block...Are you trying to tell me something." HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. Oh my. No I wasn't.

Outloud I said, "No, I wasn't trying to tell you anything, but didn't you already know??" I could tell from the look on his face that it in fact had never occurred to him, but he didn't want to tell me because in retrospect he could tell how easy it is to see. He hedged. "Well, myself I have completely written off the month of September. October will be a brand new month."

Oddly, that is just what I needed to hear. Not to trivialize someone else's grief, but this process seems a lot like grieving. It is not because I do not like Springfield, I just was not ready for all the extra stress that impending joblessness, job hunting, house hunting, house packing, house moving, house unpacking, new place, unsettled precious baby, etc. would bring. Even to me it seems like I am whining. I hear millions of well-meaning people saying "get over it already," "it could have been worse," "at least he has a job," "I'm sure this is the best thing for your family." When people say those things to me it makes me feel uncharacteristically violent. Grieving people often feel pressure to be "handling it" and "moving on."

So I am sure this block is temporary.

Actually, this blog has helped me from WrB 0 to WrB 5. Great strides!

This whole blog format is a big help, so I am wondering if perhaps using a blog to work on my work writing is worth trying?

This week is a new week. We are just days away from a new month.

See I make all things new, says the LORD.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! Glad you're at WrB 5. I would NOT be writing regularly if it weren't for my blog. (Just don't blog anything you will ever want to sell to a publisher - they won't like that.)

    ReplyDelete