Monday, September 28, 2009

Hrabana

I did look.

I looked high and low for an early medieval woman that inspired me. And then as my reading took me further and further afield I had a revelation. Just because I am a woman does not mean that only women can be my role models. I had been being sexist in my search for inspiration.

Hrabana, then, is the feminine form of Hrabanus, student of Alcuin. If Hrabanus was called Maurus after the student of benedict, why cannot I in turn, as an admirer of Alcuin, be like his favorite student.

This can be a repository of my scholarly writing and thinking as well as space for commentary on the writing and research process. I find the blog environment is quite conducive to my writing persona, and though this is perhaps an unusual format for formal work, if it produces good results then I am willing to be unorthodox.

Welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment