Friday, October 30, 2009

Famous Last Words: Halloween Costumes

I really believed it when I said it, too:

"I will never give in to the new-fangled way of buying halloween costumes when I could just make one!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAA.

Last year I found a cute little cow one piece hoodie suit for fifty cents, and he was just six months old, so it did not really count, right? But this year, when I realized that it would take me weeks to sew it and I truly could not buy even the fabric for that cute little pumpkin outift for less than the $11 price tag, I hung my head in shame. I like to sew and craft, but not out of spite, and rarely to a deadline. And $11. Thread and notions and cloth, never mind the time, which would have been enjoyable. So, I bought it. And he is darn cute in it, too.

But is this the way it is going to go now for the next years? I do not mean the famous last words part. I fully expect to be denouncing those ideal statements of fervor for years to come. I mean the costumes thing. I looked around the room today at a moms group halloween party and all the kids were adorable, but the costumes are just so....consumerist! The super hero is all spandex and real muscles and comic book copyrighted images all around. But, then again, lets not paint the past with the glory days marker. When I was but a wee lass, the super hero costume would have been blue and red sweat pants and sweatshirt drawn all over with permanent marker. And, after all the effort put into the fine drawings by a loving parent, you would still look almost indistinguishable from a scribble. A scribble with superpowers who had to go around saying, No, I'm Spiderman, can't you tell!!! [Umm, no, you look like a scribble.]

I had several memorable costumes. I am sure I did witch, and of course in high school all the girls dressed like variations of hooker. Oh, so wild, right? But I was also a thermometer. That was fun. I know, I was a nerd, even as a wee lass. A wee nerd.

I suppose I will adapt to the ways of less creativity if I must. Regardless of its past, hopefully I can impart to my children that Halloween can be a celebration of fun. Just plain, simple fun.

1 comment: