Saturday, January 30, 2010

Latin Breakthrough

Hooray! I think that I finally understand the difference between the gerund and the gerundive. They come from basically the same form - and/end/und - but the gerund is a stand alone noun, conjugated 2nd decl neut., and the gerundive, while meaning almost the same thing, is used adjectively with the object of the sentence. I want [of writing] {I want to write} - I want of letters [to be written] {I want to write letters.}
Cupida sum scribendi - Cupida sum litterae scribendae.
So gerund adject and gerundive adjective.
Well, it makes sense to me, anyway, finally!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! That is one of the hardest elements of Latin for a lot of students, including me. I still have to sit and think about it and look it up half the time.

    ReplyDelete